Close
Labour announce new plan to get young back into work

Labour announce new plan to get young back into work

March 20, 2012 
Guest Editor

Labour leader Ed Miliband announced a new youth employment policy last week, where they proposed a £600m scheme where anyone aged 18 to 24 and unemployed for over a year would be required to undertake a minimum of 25 hours per week of paid work.

Speaking at a Labour Youth Conference at Warwick University the Labour leader said that each placement would last a maximum of six months and those refusing to take part would lose their right to receive benefits.

The opposition intend to fund this with the proposed bank bonus tax with the money raised then paid directly to those businesses involved in the scheme to cover the minimum wage of each participant they take on.

Employers would be expected to provide training and development for a minimum of 10 hours a week.

Miliband said, "It is simply unacceptable to have so many talented young people out of work for an entire year with their hopes and dreams evaporating."

"To business, we say 'we'll pay the wages if you provide the training'; to young people, 'if you're out of work for a year we'll guarantee you the opportunity to work'."



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Name *

Email *

Website