Cogent Skills Apprenticeships : MedImmune - ATA Level 5 Technician Scientist Apprenticeship Bioassay Development
This is a great opportunity to join our Bioassay Development Group and support critical activities on current MedImmune projects. Part of these activities are the manufacturing development process, formulation development, stability assessment and clinical supply.
In this role, you will be initially supported by the whole team in order to learn about tissue culture and assay automation as well as how to develop and run methods for assessing the potency of drug candidates during development and clinical trial release. This opportunity comes with an exponential learning experience, team work, challenges and goals that you will be able to achieve.
You will receive extensive training for all aspects of the role, and will be assigned your own mentor to provide help and advice during your time at MedImmune.
In addition, you will be supported and funded to undertake an accredited degree course part-time whilst working.
This is an amazing opportunity to work in industry-leading laboratories at the cutting edge of drug discovery.
The Bioassay Development Group is part of Biopharmaceutical Development, where novel biopharmaceutical drug candidates in the Medlmmune pipeline are developed into drugs. This includes manufacturing process development, formulation development, stability assessment and manufacturing for clinical supply.
All these activities are supported by our group, developing and running methods for assessing the potency of these drug candidates during biopharmaceutical development and clinical trial release.
Joining our BioProcess, Analytical & Manufacturing Sciences Bioassay Development Group, you will be performing cell culture and aseptic techniques and will be supporting cell line characterisation work. You will be contributing to the development of new methodologies within the team and novel product-specific potency assays, including cell-based, binding and enzymatic assay techniques, to support testing and progression of lead projects.
In addition, you will be involved in automation, in particular liquid handling, to be applied to bioassays and method optimisation using Quality by Design based Design of Experiment techniques and statistics with the associated software. You will also perform data processing, tabulation and interpretation of results from cell characterisation and cell based/binding assay work.
The Bioassay Development Group in Cambridge UK, plays an important role in supporting drug development programmes by providing novel, product specific analytical test methods for novel drugs of a wide range of formats for batch release, characterisation and stability assessment.
We are looking for an enthusiastic team player interested in lab automation, cell based assays and biopharmaceutical development, day-to-day problem solving, work prioritisation, and meeting timelines by supporting the team.
- Aseptic techniques and tissue culture including cryopreservation and banking Immunoassay techniques e.g. ELISA, Delfia, flow cytometry
- Cell based assays, e.g. reporter signalling assays, survival/killing assay, cell binding Cell line characterisation using techniques including flow cytometry
- Molecular biology including cloning, transfection/transduction, testing expression
Role specific technical ability:
- Application of liquid handling automation
- Handling all required instrumentation and operating associated software Method development for testing drugs for clinical use
Role specific competencies:
- Media & automation preparation
- Reagent stock control, ordering, aliquotting and storage
- Adhering to and supporting quality system
- Implementing and promoting Medlmmune Health and Safety practices COSHH, biological reagents and genetically modified organism regulations
Will possess 3 A levels (or equivalent), two of which must be in a science subject (ideally biology) at grade B or above. Five GCSE’s at grade C and above including Mathematics, Science and English (or equivalent).