Cogent Skills Apprenticeships : MedImmune - ATA Level 5 Technician Scientist Apprenticeship RIA Biology
The Respiratory, Inflammation and Autoimmunity (RIA) Biology team at Medlmmune researches respiratory diseases, such as Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and Asthma, to gain a deeper knowledge on what drives these diseases and to generate drugs that will help patients lead long and healthy lives.
You will perform experiments to understand the function of immune and epithelial cells that are involved with these diseases which will help support the development of new medicines.
You will also receive extensive training for all aspects of the role, and will be assigned your own mentor to provide help and advice during your time at MedImmune. In addition, you will be supported and funded to undertake an accredited degree course part-time whilst working.
This is an amazing opportunity to work in industry-leading laboratories at the cutting edge of drug discovery.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Cell Counting
- Tissue Culture
- Reagent preparation
- Purification and culture of immune and epithelial cells from human and mouse blood/tissue
- Culture of purified cells and of cell lines
- Cell functional assays (ELISA, flow cytometry)
- Molecular biology (RNA purification, PCR, immune-precipitations, western blotting).
Role Specific Requirements:
- Work independently and as part of a team
- Work safely within the laboratory
- Show good time-management and be able to plan and prioritise tasks
- Show creative thinking and problem solving to overcome technical problems and
- Analyse data independently and present results to the wider team
Will possess 3 A levels (or equivalent), two of which must be in a science subject (ideally biology) at grade B or above. Five GCSE’s at grade C and above including Mathematics, Science and English (or equivalent).