GSK : GSK Laboratory Science apprenticeship
This job has now expired.
Please click above to view current vacancies
What does a Higher Laboratory Science apprenticeship involve?
We offer Laboratory Science Apprenticeships in either a manufacturing or a research & development (R&D) setting. The Laboratory Science apprenticeship will provide you with the opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge in a number of areas. These might include:
- Operating specialist laboratory equipment to test our products and raw materials
- Learning about the process each drug or product follows though to full scale manufacturing.
- Microbiological & environmental sampling and testing
- Archiving and managing samples
- Operating specialist equipment to develop new products
- Developing new technology and processes
- Drug delivery
- Synthetic and analytical chemistry
- Data analysis and interpretation
- Report writing
As well as these, you will also develop your personal skills such as reasoning, communication, problem solving, team working, relationship building and influencing.
What does this apprenticeship offer me?
You have the option to join us in either a chemistry-based laboratory apprenticeship where you will study for a Foundation degree (FdSc) in Chemical Science or join us on a biology-based apprenticeship to gain a Foundation degree (FdSc) in Applied Bioscience.
Whichever route you chose, you will be based in a lab environment with one day per week to dedicate to your studies.
After completing the FdSc, most of our laboratory science apprentices go on to study for their BSc.
What qualifications do I need to apply?
To be eligible for our laboratory science apprenticeship programme, you will need:
- a minimum of 5 GCSEs or equivalent at grades A*-C including English language (not literature), Science and Maths
- must have/be predicted to achieve a minimum of 96 UCAS points from your top 3 A-Levels (or equivalent) not including General Studies
- you must have an A Level (or equivalent) in Chemistry or Biology depending on which apprenticeship you hope to study.
You should specify whether you are more interested in a biology-based or chemistry-based apprenticeship in your application.
To apply for a chemistry-based apprenticeship you will need a chemistry A Level (or equivalent) or to apply for a biology-based apprenticeship you will need a biology A Level (or equivalent).
Where would I be based?
What our apprentices say about the Laboratory apprenticeship...
“It feels great to run experiments and they run successfully. Others in the lab are doing the same level of chemistry - I’m never treated differently in the team.”
“I’m so proud to get on to the programme. I still walk in and think wow! My biggest achievement is, while only a 3rd year Apprentice, I am already an Instrument Owner. There are only two owners across GSK, as it's a new technology."
When does the apprenticeship start?
Our apprenticeships start in September 2018.