Smith and Williamson - School Leaver : Audit Apprentice
At Smith & Williamson we recruit high calibre people with the skills, knowledge and commitment to meet the demands of the business. The apprenticeship programme is a structured training programme combining practical experience with technical studies, as well as providing numerous opportunities to increase your skill set with internal courses ranging from personal impact and negotiation skills to time management to delivering presentations.
What will I be doing?
Many businesses need to reassure investors and other stakeholders on their financial performance, even where a full audit isn’t necessary, appropriate, or required by law. We provide wide-reaching financial advisory services to international clients across a number of industries and a diverse client base, ranging from small businesses and family enterprise start-ups to non-profit organisations.
As part of our Assurance & Business Services team you will be working with our clients, checking that numbers stack up with fact. This means providing advice and solutions that really make a difference. Many of our audits last just one or two weeks, which means you'll quickly gain exposure to a variety of businesses. You'll also build valuable client experience, developing the knowledge and skills needed to be an effective auditor and trusted business adviser.
From early on in your career here you’ll be working as part of a team, in the office or at clients’ premises, learning how they operate, speaking to key contacts, checking that data is accurate, and questioning any differences. On-the-job training and studying towards your professional qualification will enable you to gain a full understanding of the technical aspects of audit and accountancy and additional financial advisory services.
Duties of the Audit Apprentice role are as follows:
- Develop an understanding of our client’s and their businesses
- Complete audit programmes and form conclusions on each individual test and section completed
- Highlight issues and problems for the attention of senior management
- Become familiar with our audit and accounting software
- Discuss queries with client staff, obtaining relevant information and explanations
- Resolve queries whether of an audit or accountancy nature
- Work as part of a team to undertake a variety of audit and accountancy tasks for our diverse client base
- Understand from your manager the scope of tasks allocated and objectives to be achieved
- Keep seniors and managers fully informed of any issues and problems, ensure work is completed to a level agreed with the manager and record clearly and concisely the work done
- Prioritise tasks whilst monitoring time against budget
- Support department events and procedures and build relationships within Smith & Williamson
What training and development will I receive in my first few years?
Alongside your work and internal training courses you will receive first-class professional training as you study for the Certificate in Finance, Accounting and Business (CFAB) and Associate Chartered Accountant (ACA) qualifications.
To be successful in this role you will:
- Be committed and motivated to studying towards the CFAB and ACA qualifications
- Be able to deliver first class client service and work effectively as part of a team
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
- Have a high level of general commercial awareness
- 280 UCAS points (or equivalent) in your top three A-levels (excluding General Studies)
- GCSE English and Maths (or equivalent) at a minimum of grade B