Leonardo : Graduate Mechanical Engineer - 2374
This job has now expired.
Please click above to view current vacancies
Do you want to work on real-time projects alongside leading scientists and engineers within a globally renowned company?
Leonardo has an award winning Graduate Programme that develops promising young graduates into engineers and business professionals of the future.
Your role as a Leonardo Graduate Mechanical Engineer will be to support the design and development of our world leading radar and electro-optic products under the guidance of experienced Mechanical Team Leads. You will be introduced to utilising state-of-the-art methods, technology and tools to explore all aspects of the development lifecycle, including stress and thermal analysis, requirements analysis, design, implementation, test, build and product support. You will interface with customers (internal and external) on many factors within the design and liaise closely with Engineers from other disciplines, particularly Systems and Electronics.
Mechanical Engineering is a fundamental element of all our products and as such Mechanical Engineering provides the support and environment necessary for learning and career development.
- Manage own development towards attaining Mechanical Engineer level through the Graduate Development Programme over 2 years. As part of our accredited Institution of Mechanical Engineers Mentored Professional Development Scheme you will be assigned a Mentor and invited to attend group graduate-based events, which will provide you with an opportunity to network with your peers and share best practice. Our aim is to develop your skills so that you can reach your full potential whilst working towards becoming a Chartered Engineer typically after 4 years.
- Continue professional development throughout your career by formal training, learning “on the job” and keeping up to date with the latest developments which may aid performance.
- Working to timescales
- Work as a contributory engineering team member
- Undertake day-to-day engineering activities with some guidance and support
- Ask for help where appropriate and learn from more experienced team members
- Contribute to engineering team decisions, and understand why such decisions are made and their relationship to project success criteria
- Explore new experiences and opportunities to learn within the engineering environment.
- Seek and share good practice and knowledge locally to continuously improve own practices.
- Ideally you will have obtained or are predicted to obtain a minimum of an IMechE accredited upper second class master’s honours degree in a relevant discipline.
- You must be able to satisfy the necessary security clearance for the role applied for and meet a minimum of 5 years permanent residency in the UK.
Leonardo is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We are globally renowned and are continually expanding, offering exciting opportunities to talented graduates who want to work at the forefront of our technology. With the majority of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals that are passionate about their work.
Our 2 year Graduate Programme
On joining the Leonardo graduate programme, you will unlock a wealth of development opportunities and further learning. You will receive mentoring, coaching and support to achieve your personal goals and accreditation from your professional body.
We have created a programme across our UK sites that value those who continuously ask questions and look to resolve problems through creative and innovative thinking. We will demand a high degree of customer focus and work performance from you in order to meet our operational challenges.
What’s in it for me?
- Competitive starting salary & welcome bonus
- Accommodation Allowance (subject to eligibility) & 3 performance related pay reviews within the 2 years
- 33 days holiday and flexible working arrangements
- Contributory pension scheme
What can I expect from my working environment?
You will be working within world class facilities regardless of which site you are based. Dependent on your role, you may be working in an office or lab environment or a combination of both. There may also be opportunities to travel between different sites and to meet with customers and suppliers. Occasionally you may also travel abroad.
What are you waiting for?
A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around.
Don’t delay – these roles attract high competition so APPLY NOW to avoid disappointment. Roles will be closed as soon as they are offered!