Leonardo : Graduate Optical Engineer - 2377
This job has now expired.
Please click above to view current vacancies
Leonardo has an award winning Graduate Programme that develops promising young graduates into engineers and business professionals of the future.
Graduate Optical Engineer
The successful candidate will be required to conduct specialist optical engineering activities in support of the development and production of high quality military electro-optical products.
The job demands a mastery of optical engineering and design tools as well as strong laboratory skills required for the characterisation and measurement of various optical phenomena. The successful candidate will be involved in aspects of lens design, optical system design, vendor liaison, test definition and production support across a range of technologies including thermal imaging, lasers, rangefinders and optically stabilised systems.
The candidate should have a first degree in physics or a related degree and demonstrate a strong aptitude and interest in optical or photonic technologies. A masters or PhD in a related field is of benefit.
- Generation of appropriate technical solutions to optical problems
- Modelling of optical systems using commercial and in-house tools
- Creation and review of detailed optical drawings, product and test specifications,
- Product Test and Verification including the development of test solutions
- Problem solving to support product development and manufacturing
- Technical liaison with material vendors
- You must be able to satisfy the necessary security clearance for the role applied for and meet a minimum of 5 years permanent residency in the UK.
- All our roles require predicted minimum of an upper second class honours degree in a relevant discipline, in particular B. Sc. in Physics or Optoelectronics (M.Sc in Applied Optics or relevant PhD (desirable).
- Good understanding of the fundamentals of optics
- Appreciation of laser physics (desirable)
- Interest and enthusiasm for optical/photonic technologies
- Effective communicator and good team player
Leonardo is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We are globally renowned and are continually expanding, offering exciting opportunities to talented graduates who want to work at the forefront of our technology. With the majority of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals that are passionate about their work.
Our 2 year Graduate Programme
On joining the Leonardo graduate programme, you will unlock a wealth of development opportunities and further learning. You will receive mentoring, coaching and support to achieve your personal goals and accreditation from your professional body.
We have created a programme across our UK sites that value those who continuously ask questions and look to resolve problems through creative and innovative thinking. We will demand a high degree of customer focus and work performance from you in order to meet our operational challenges.
What’s in it for me?
Leonardo values their people and we reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- Competitive starting salary&welcome bonus
- Accommodation Allowance (subject to eligibility) & 3 performance related pay reviews within the 2 years
- 33 days holiday and flexible working arrangements
- Contributory pension scheme
What can I expect from my working environment?
This is an office based and laboratory based role using display screen equipment working full time hours which can often be in a demanding environment. As part of this role you will be expected to travel possibly both in the UK and abroad, you will also be expected to stay overnight as part of this travel. Working to tight deadlines either on a regular or ad hoc basis will be required. It is a requirement of the role to work with Lasers of Class 3R and above.
What are you waiting for?
A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around.
Don’t delay – these roles attract high competition so APPLY NOW to avoid disappointment. Roles will be closed as soon as they are offered!