Leonardo : Graduate Systems Engineer EW MAP - 2372
This job has now expired.
Please click above to view current vacancies
Do you want to work on real-time projects alongside leading scientists and engineers within a globally renowned company?
Leonardo has an award winning Graduate Programme that develops promising young graduates into engineers and business professionals of the future.
Graduate Systems Engineers are needed to join the growing Luton Systems Engineering community to work alongside some of the most talented engineers in the UK. You will support the development of world-leading technologies and capabilities across multiple domains including Avionics, Electronic Warfare, and Unmanned and Autonomous Systems (UAS).
Graduate Systems Engineers have the opportunity to be involved in all phases of the systems engineering lifecycle to create and deliver new and emerging capabilities required by our customers; from the development of system architectures and concept designs for the next generation of EW or UAS capability, through to live trials of developed equipment and systems in the UK and abroad and working alongside our customers and end-users.
Working as part of an established systems engineering community and supported by a team of experienced engineers, you will be responsible for:
- Developing and applying your academic skills to undertake various activities across the engineering lifecycle, delivering to agreed performance targets, including cost and schedule.
- Developing practical skills in engineering design and development for complex systems, understanding key processes and technologies.
- Gaining an understanding of the EW and UAS domains to support the development of relevant products and technologies.
- Working closely with engineers across multiple disciplines to solve problems.
- Completing tasks to a high standard in accordance with appropriate processes and procedures.
- Taking an active role in engineering process improvement, ensuring the communication of best practice across the systems engineering team.
- Using technical expertise to solve problems, generate ideas and be proactive within the team.
- Obtained or are predicted to obtain a minimum of an upper second class honours degree in Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or a relevant discipline.
- Have an understanding of mathematics to at least A-Level standard, and a basic understanding of electronics.
- You must be able to satisfy the necessary security clearance for the role applied for and meet a minimum of 5 years permanent residency in the UK.
- Self-motivated with an aptitude to problem solving and ability to drive difficult issues to conclusion.
Able to work with minimum direction/supervision on complex tasks.
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills, and the ability to interact with subject matter experts regarding a range of technical and operational topics.
- Confidence and ability to challenge/respond to technical/process issues.
Experience of working with engineering development tools (e.g. MATLAB, Simulink, Rhapsody, DOORS, Teamcenter).
- Knowledge of EW and UAS domain technologies and products.
Leonardo is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We are globally renowned and are continually expanding, offering exciting opportunities to talented graduates who want to work at the forefront of our technology. With the majority of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals that are passionate about their work.
The Leonardo Luton site is home to the Electronic Warfare (EW) and Major Air Programmes (MAP) Lines of Business, both part of the Airborne and Space Systems Division. The division develops and produces a wide range of products and solutions for both manned and unmanned aircraft platforms, including integrated mission systems, airborne radars and sensors, protection and countermeasure systems, on-board avionics and simulation systems.
Our 2 year Graduate Programme
On joining the Leonardo graduate programme, you will unlock a wealth of development opportunities and further learning. You will receive mentoring, coaching and support to achieve your personal goals and accreditation from your professional body.
We have created a programme across our UK sites that value those who continuously ask questions and look to resolve problems through creative and innovative thinking. We will demand a high degree of customer focus and work performance from you in order to meet our operational challenges.
What’s in it for me?
Leonardo values their people and we reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- Competitive starting salary&welcome bonus
- Accommodation Allowance (subject to eligibility) & 3 performance related pay reviews within the 2 years
- 33 days holiday and flexible working arrangements
- Contributory pension scheme
What can I expect from my working environment?
This is an office based role using display screen equipment, with some work being required in laboratories. You will be working full time hours which can often be in a demanding environment. Working to tight deadlines either on a regular or ad hoc basis may be required. As part of this role you may have the opportunity to travel, possibly both in the UK and abroad, to support customer meetings or trials and demonstration activities. In some cases you will also be expected to stay overnight as part of this travel.
What are you waiting for?
A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around.
Don’t delay – these roles attract high competition so APPLY NOW to avoid disappointment. Roles will be closed as soon as they are offered!