Leonardo : Graduate Systems Engineer S3 - 2396
Do you want to work on real-time projects alongside leading scientists and engineers within a globally renowned company?
Leonardo has an award winning Graduate Programme that develops promising young graduates into engineers and business professionals of the future.
The Support and Service Solutions (S3) line of business operates across all of the main UK sites, providing innovative and invaluable support solutions to our customers. S3 is part of the Airborne and Space Systems Division, which develops and produces a wide range of products and solutions for both manned and unmanned aircraft platforms, including integrated mission systems, airborne radars and sensors, protection and countermeasure systems, on-board avionics, and simulation systems.
Would you like the opportunity to create innovative systems and applications? Can you imagine yourself using new technology to solve future medical or energy problems? Do you like the idea of working directly with customers and end users across the UK? If so, then why not join the growing S3 engineering community and work alongside some of the most talented engineers in the UK.
As a graduate systems engineer within S3, you will be part of a team developing support system architectures and concept solutions, and looking at cost effective support of equipment through its life. By using data science, mathematical analysis and modelling, you can help to ensure that the end user has equipment that will be reliable and easy to maintain in challenging environments. By developing apps, you can provide our customers with a digital support experience. You might also look at how technology can be applied to provide a service that addresses current and future global issues.
Working as part of a systems engineering community and supported by a team of experienced engineers, you will be responsible for:
- Developing and applying your academic knowledge to undertake various activities across the engineering lifecycle, delivering to agreed performance targets, including cost and schedule.
- Developing practical skills in engineering design and development for complex solutions, understanding key processes and technologies.
- Working closely with engineers across multiple disciplines to solve problems.
- Completing tasks to a high standard and in accordance with appropriate processes and procedures.
- Taking an active role in engineering process improvement, ensuring the communication of best practise across the engineering team.
- Using technical expertise to solve problems, generate ideas and be pro-active within the team.
All our roles require predicted minimum of an upper second class honours degree in a relevant discipline. You must be able to satisfy the necessary security clearance for the role applied for and meet a minimum of 5 years permanent residency in the UK.
- Ability to demonstrate and apply system-level thinking
- Self-motivated with an aptitude for problem solving and an ability to drive difficult issues to conclusion
- Able to work with minimum direction/supervision on complex tasks
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills, and the ability to interact with subject matter experts regarding a range of technical and operational topics
- Confidence and ability to challenge/respond to technical/process issues.
- Experience of working with engineering modelling tools (e.g. Matlab, Simulink)
- Knowledge of a programming language (e.g. C, Visual Basic, Python)
- Ability to create web-based applications
- Knowledge of and/or interest in avionics equipment
Leonardo is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We are globally renowned and are continually expanding, offering exciting opportunities to talented graduates who wat to work at the forefront of our technology. With the majority of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals that are passionate about their work.
Our 2 year Graduate Programme
On joining the Leonardo graduate programme, you will unlock a wealth of development opportunities and further learning. You will receive mentoring, coaching and support to achieve your personal goals and accreditation from your professional body.
We have created a programme across our UK sites that value those who continuously ask questions and look to resolve problems through creative and innovative thinking. We will demand a high degree of customer focus and work performance from you in order to meet our operational challenges.
What’s in it for me?
Leonardo values their people and we reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- Competitive starting salary & welcome bonus
- Accommodation Allowance (subject to eligibility) & 3 performance related pay reviews within the 2 years
- 33 days holiday and flexible working arrangements
- Contributory pension scheme
What can I expect from my working environment?
This is an office based role using display screen equipment, with some work being required in laboratories. You will be working full time hours which can often be in a demanding environment. Working to tight deadlines either on a regular or ad hoc basis may be required. As part of this role you may have the opportunity to travel, possibly both in the UK and abroad, to support customer meetings or trials and demonstration activities. In some cases you will also be expected to stay overnight as part of this travel.
What are you waiting for?
A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around.
Don’t delay – these roles attract high competition so APPLY NOW to avoid disappointment. Roles will be closed as soon as they are offered!