Our company in a nutshell
We're the world's largest building society as well as one of the largest savings providers and a top-three provider of mortgages in the UK.
We're also a major provider of current accounts, credit cards, ISAs and personal loans. With around 15 million members, we have a relationship with almost a quarter of the UK population.
Our customers can manage their finances in a branch, via a mobile app, on the telephone, internet and post. We have around 17,000 employees with an increasing number of them working flexibly. Our head office is in Swindon with administration centres based in Northampton, Bournemouth and Dunfermline. We also have a number of call centres in the UK.
Our Experience / Expertise:
Over the last 6 months we've:
- lent almost £15 billion in mortgages, a half year record and over 13% of all UK mortgage lending in that period
- helped over 25,700 people to buy their first home
- provided a safe home for cash ISA savings and accounted for a third of growth in balances
- been at the forefront with the introduction of new technology like Apple Pay and Paym
- helped more than a quarter of a million people move their current account over to us
And whilst the banks were talking about closing outlets, we invested millions in new branches and new ways of helping customers across our branches.
Yes we're a building society, and yes we are different. But we are proud of our difference, aiming to serve our members with their best interests at heart. We've been doing this since 1846 and plan on doing this for many more years to come. Our Values:
At Nationwide, our values are underpinned by the need to put our customers first. It's a driving force in every area of our business, making it an essential requirement if you'd like to work for us.
Below are just a few of the reasons over 14 million members choose to bank with us - that's over a quarter of the UK population.
We're the world's largest building society
Over 160 years ago we opened our doors as a building society. Run for the benefit of our members, being a building society means that we're free to reinvest more of our profits to improve the products and services we offer.
Our members decide how we're run
Each year we ask our members to take part in our AGM
and vote on key decisions about how we operate as a business. It's your Society, so it's only right that you help set the direction we take.
We support your local communities
Last year alone our employees spent over 19,000 hours volunteering on community projects. By 2017, our members and employees will have helped decide how we invest £15 million to support local communities.
We listen to what our members have to say
Our members told us that they wanted a greater choice of current accounts with a range of features, such as commission free cash withdrawals abroad and in-credit interest. So we launched FlexPlus
We're committed to being an ethical business
Every decision we make as a business is underpinned by our core values of decency, fairness and dependability. Doing the right thing for our members is at the heart of what we do. Career Opportunities & Training:
We look for a number of graduates to work in specific business areas. This enables you to build on your expertise in one business area over 2 to 3 years.
You'll rotate within your chosen business area every 6-8 months, meaning you'll quickly get a broader understanding, and lots of variety in a short space of time.
In addition to your placement, we provide you with many opportunities to stretch and develop yourself further. As part of the scheme you can expect:
- Exposure to current business leaders in the industry
- Involvement in real business projects with stretching targets
- Regular reviews with your line managers and Placement Manager, receiving constructive feedback on your performance.
- A platform to develop your core skills, such as communication, presentation and influencing skills
You'll also be encouraged and enabled to drive your own professional and personal development.
To give you an idea, we've listed the types of activities previous years' cohorts have been involved with and what you could expect as part of your time on the programme.
- Myers Briggs Personality Profile - reviewing your individual working style and understanding how this may help to develop strong working relationships.
- Mentoring - having a mentor from a previous development programme to offer you support and advice.
- 100-day review - taking a chance to reflect and look back on your first 100-days in the society along with your peers.
- Group Workshops - How to influence others, Mind-set & Attitude - how to deal with stress & Understanding our business.
- Leadership Event - split across 3-days, the event helps you to get an understanding of what it takes to be an inspirational leader
- Business Projects - working in groups to deliver a project over the summer. Previous years have been involved in both charity and internal projects related to the society.
- Career Development Sessions - run by our Emerging Talent recruitment team, helping you to review your own potential looking to roll-off scheme. Such as interview techniques, hints and tips for making applications to a promotion.
The majority of our programmes will be based in our Swindon offices, however we do have some also available in London at our Threadneedle Street Office and also in Northampton. Benefits:
Graduate development programmes often offer excellent opportunities for fast career progression; you'll work in a series of placements, and we'll support you with structured training and development to help you reach your personal goals.
We'll also offer you:
- A competitive starting salary (£28,000 p.a)
- Performance based annual bonus and benefits
- A permanent contract
- Private healthcare membership
- 24 days holiday, plus Bank Holidays
- A company pension
- Relocation assistance where applicable
A career at Nationwide also offers enormous scope and UK wide opportunities; with new investments in technology and innovation as well as our established branch network.
To view our current opportunities and to find out more about Nationwide, visit our website https://www.nationwide-jobs.co.uk/students-graduates/